Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Chocolate cupcakes with Ganache frosting.

I don't have any pictures of these cupcakes. I made them for a potluck party. They were pretty lightweight and flat on top.

The thing I noticed about the recipe is that it made about twice as many cupcakes as the recipe was supposed to make. This was because I would only fill the cupcake paper maybe 1/4 full, as the cupcake rose dramatically while baking.

I'd like to try this again but cut back on the leavening agents (baking powder, baking soda) even more. I'd probably try 1/8 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda. I like a denser cupcake.

Cupcake recipe is also from the Cupcake Bakeshop blog. I have modified it here some, adding an extra egg, cutting back on the baking powder, and I probably increased the flour by a TB and reduced sugar by 1 TB.

The ganache recipe is from me, well, I learned it working at Katrina's on San Juan Island.

Cupcakes (modified)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temp
1-1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
3/4 cup flour (4 oz flour)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter & sugar then add in eggs one at a time and vanilla. Whisk remaining dry ingredients together. Alternate mixing in flour mixture and milk.
Bake in 375 oven for 20-25 minutes, or really, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

Ganache
1 cup whipping cream.
8 oz semi-sweeet or bittersweet chocolate chopped up into smallish pieces, or chocolate chips or pareils.

In a frying pan or skillet, heat the cream over high heat till it's boiling and frothy. I turn it on and ignore it while I prep the chocolate. When it is is all boiling and frothy, take it off the heat, and add the chocolate. Stir until it is all melted. And you have ganache. It will keep forever as well if you don't eat it all.

No comments: