Sunday, February 19, 2012

Last week's menu recap

I stuck fairly well to the menu plan last week. For stir-fry night I riffed on the Black Pepper Tempeh recipe. I used chicken instead of tempeh, and I added a few tablespoons of Chu Chee curry paste. Instead of cauliflower I put in red cabbage, carrot, and broccoli. It was quite pretty with the red cabbage and carrot. The broccoli didn't go as well visually speaking but it tasted good.

On pork shoulder day I ended up making carnitas, using the Diana Kennedy recipe that they posted over at Food52. I screwed it up a bit but it was still pretty good. (You are supposed to simmer in water uncovered and I had it covered up in the crockpot for hours). So we had carnitas tacos that night.

On Friday I deviated from the plan because I made a lot of tamales that day. So we had tamales for dinner. And last night we just made up some tacos out of leftover tamale filling and also had a few more tamales as I made them last night as well. 

The hit new recipe of the week was from Super Natural Every Day again. The Kale Salad is fantastic. You basically roast some kale & flaked coconut in the oven and mix with farro (or rice or any grain) and some of the dressing that you tossed the kale with before cooking it. I am not a big dried coconut person but this was excellent. Our dinner guests scraped the bowl clean.




No comments: