Thursday, March 8, 2012

Farrotto (Risotto with farro)

Well John took one bite of the farrotto last night and promptly put down his fork and said, "I don't like it." Which is something he almost never does. Usually if he doesn't like something he just doesn't eat a lot of it, but usually he eats whatever I give him.

I don't know if it was the fennel seed or the saffron he disliked. I thought it was OK -- it kind of tasted a bit like paella to me with the red pepper and saffron. But it wasn't really enough to be a main course on its own. Fortunately, I had prepared some sausage to go along with it. I think that some shrimp or scallops would go well with it. I decided to freeze most of it and save some for my lunch today.

I think what I would like to try is perhaps a version with fresh fennel bulb instead of fennel seed. Or try making paella with farro -- I think that could be good. If I make farrotto again I will use a more classic ingredient combo and just have it as a side dish.

No comments: