Saturday, March 31, 2012

Menu March 25-31

Man, I'm starting to slack. I didn't even post a menu for this week. I didn't even plan out dinner, although whenever I went to the store I tried to buy food for that night and the next. Let's see if I can remember what we ate last week:

Sunday: Oh yes. Sopes with mushrooms and something or other...Sopes are a cornmeal dough that you shape into flat discs, cook on a griddle, then fry. You mound a topping on that. They are pretty good. I think I made a black bean/monterey jack/sauteed mushroom topping for them.

Monday: Tamales  - I made some for Matt & Alicia & their new addition, Izel, and made some for my own freezer as well. I made mango chicken as well as vegetarian squash, corn & black beans. I am now adding coconut oil to all my tamales as I love the tropical flavor it adds.

Tuesday: Burritos (black beans, salsa, cheese, with pork, bell peppers & onion)

Wednesday: Tarragon Chicken Salad (from The Silver Palate). Although I think I prefer my Curry chicken salad more -- which is basically sour cream, mayo, curry powder, toasted cashews, dried cranberries (or golden raisins) and celery. Also I had pie dough so I made a rather runny strawberry pie. It tasted really good though despite the runniness. And the crust came out really really well! Yum. I ate some for breakfast the next day.

Thursday: Hot and spicy tofu with lemongrass (we still had lemon grass so I thought I would experiment a bit)

Ate at Joe's Diner Friday night.

Saturday (tonight): Maybe some sea food since we missed "Fish Friday" last night. I also want to make some sesame rice balls to go with it. And something nice & green on the side.

Next week: I *am* going to make a menu plan for this next week. I'm also toying with the idea of doing an all-vegetarian week. I also have a goal of cutting down on how much meat I serve at dinner. Instead of it being the centerpiece, I'd rather it just be a small part of dinner. Also, we spent way too much money on food in March. It was kind of ridiculous. And I was really good about not wasting produce this month. Sigh. So this week I'm going to try budgeting a certain amount per day and just taking cash to the store. I'll let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

Gayathri said...

Rachel, what tamale recipe do you use? I want to make some.

Unknown said...

I'll scan it for you sometime this week. It's from Rick Bayless's cookbook, Authentic Mexican.