Sunday, March 11, 2012

Last week's new recipes review

Last's weeks new recipes:

Farrotto (farro risotto):

The farrotto was not popular with John. I didn't mind it, and have had it for lunch a few times.

Thousand Layer Lasagna
The thousand layer lasagna was pretty popular, everyone ate quite a bit of that and it disappeared by lunchtime the next day. It was a lot of work to make all that lasagna -- mainly the having to roll out all of it to the very thinnest setting. But actually the hardest part was unsticking the noodles after I cooked them. I didn't read the instructions about dunking them in cold water afterwards which probably would have helped. I had oiled the boiling water though and they still stuck. Also I found I needed twice as much sauce as the recipe called for, and I also used all the mozzarella I had on hand which was probably 4 oz more or so.

The other new recipe was Sloppeh Joes -- sloppy joes with tempeh. I followed my tried-and-true Gourmet magaazine sloppy joes recipe but the tempeh was kind of boring. It has a good texture but didn't absorb the sauce flavors as well as meat, I guess. Our favorite vegetarian Sloppy Joes remains the Laurel's Kitchen Walnut-Oat burgers served up sloppy-joe style (they don't have the sloppy joe recipe in there, that was my idea). I'll have to post that one sometime.


No comments: